Re: Final countdown for NPAPI

This is mostly FUD as Chrome made pepper which the likes of Silverlight and
Java chose not to implement.

Silverlight announced it was ending development in 2013 so sites today like
Sky reporting they won't be fixing for Chrome are using a legacy system
anyway.

With encrypted media extensions in video and audio, support for web fonts
etc - I'm not really seeing much excuse for the complaints besides the
migration period for corporates.

However with that regard this has been a long term announcement and not
just sprang out of nowhere like people suggest. Yes 2 years was the NPAPI
announcement from Google but no leg work has happened to migrate these
systems in this time either. The move to be away from plugins on the web
started with Ian Hickson over 10 years ago founding WHATWG for HTML5 and
with flash announcing their death in 2011 this has been expected since then.

Regarding native being safer; platform specific APIs are just as unstable
and you only have to point at the constant theme changes and language
changes to realise stability across releases is not the priority. Rightly
so, as the advantage of native is mostly performance and user experience so
it makes sense to evolve quicker.

Can I also point out that these were never seen as web; they were
proprietary apps layered on top of the web. So again they were always
developed separately in a completely different manner to the web and
similar to native apps.