Re: Square's new payee identifier: cashtags

Another way to think about it might be to adopt a symbol that explicitly
represents a namespace outside the DNS system?

Could !username mean, look my identity up on Telehash?
So the discovery protocol may be something like:

IF identifier starts with '!' lookup on Telehash
ELSE IF identifier has the form user@domain lookup using WebFinger and fall
back to Telehash
ELSE IF identifier starts with '@' lookup on Twitter identity service
fallback to medium.com identity service
ELSE IF identifier starts with '$' lookup on cash.me identity service
ELSE return not found

The last two are not realistic for a global standard but I'm sure Twitter,
Medium and Square would like them