Re: A Heretic's View on Web (Browser) Payments

On 1/19/15 3:47 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> On 2015-01-18 22:37, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>>>>
> <snip>
>

>> W3C isn't supposed to be producing prospective standardization specs. It
>> is supposed to be producing specs that standardize what exists.
>
> And in the context of web payments that means...?

I don't know, and therein lies the big problem, from my vantage point.

Prescribing standards is dead-on-arrival.

Standardizing what's in use, so that implementation details are uniform
and preserved forever (e.g., Internet RFCs from IETF) .

Getting this right is critical. Getting is wrong is tragic, as
exemplified by RDF.

What is RDF, actually?

A retrospective standardization of entity relations representation. By
that I mean, from the onset the notion of entity relations has been part
of HTML (via <link/> and HTTP (via "Link:"), but none of this factors
into conventional RDF narratives. Instead, RDF was promoted using a poor
narrative that was all about RDF/XML (specifically) as THE standard data
representation notation and across-the-wire serialization format.

Even as a write, document content notations and across-the-wire
serialization format specificity related squabbles continue to obscure
what RDF is actually all about :(

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen