Re: Building Linked Data into the Core of the Web

To say we've always had linked data is kind of silly, I think. A cop-out,
indeed.

>From day 1 the proposal back in 1989 was of an information system where
> data is linked.

Yes, of course, but there is a fundamental difference that seems to be
easily forgotten in this conversation. The first twenty five years of the
Web have seen it held together by mostly ad-hoc human choices for URLs
behind hyperlinks to an endless network of human-readable "pages". Let's
remember that when we're speaking of "Linked Data" we should all know we
are really speaking of logically organized networks of *machine-readable
data*, where RDF triples will ultimately reap entirely new knowledge from
(seemingly) unrelated data. Often this data will be sitting behind
well-designed APIs. I still think of a Web application as a presentation to
human users over a browser platform. What Linked Data (or the Semantic Web
or whatever we end up calling it), will be bringing to us more and more
over time is an entirely new knowledge base just waiting for people to take
advantage of. Much of the Big Data exploration will not be done so much by
the public, nor by humans browsing pages at all. The frontier of discovery
will be mostly explored by programmers and data scientists using machines
(of course) and intelligent agents, etc. Whether we use RDF or JSON-LD or
something else is a secondary issue, as long as our data get their
semantics attached. I'm all in favor of embracing standards but which of
those are the best choices only become clear over time. For another
example, it behooves us to standardize the way we choose the URIs for our
APIs, as not only should they be "cool
<http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html.en>", there should also be more
formalized guidelines for constructing "URI Schema". But I digress.

Dave Lampton
* @dave_lampton <https://twitter.com/dave_lampton>*
* +DaveLampton <https://www.google.com/+DaveLampton>*
www.linkedin.com/in/davelampton/