Re: Suggestion: Remove "non-fiat money" from the draft Web Payments IC Charter

RE: Doesn’t fiat imply government?

No.

(a) The US Fed, for example, is an ambiguous entity on the boundary of
commercial and government. WM Reuters which manages the dominant valuation
algorithm for currencies is entirely commercial. And so on.

(b) Well, fiat does imply some sort of "govenance" otherwise a fiat cannot
be declared. XRP is a fiat currency of the Ripple system, do declared by
its governance authority.

(c) Literally and at its most minimal, "Let x = 3"  is the use of fiat in
math, by the author.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=fiat&searchmode=none

(d) Comment in Forbes: "All Money Is Fiat Money"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/pascalemmanuelgobry/2013/01/08/all-money-is-fiat-money/

***

If what's intended in that section of the Charter is to say "stateless
currencies", then some variant of this phrase would be better. But would
"Berkshares" that (I think) involve a regional government and some
municipalites in Massachussetts be inside our outside that concept?
http://www.berkshares.org/community_industry

Joseph