Re: Push Payment solution?

As far as I understand the distinction:
Credit push involves the account holder instructing their FI to push funds
to the receiver.
Debit pull (cards) is the receiver requesting the FI to debit the funds
from the payer's account and pulling them into their own.

In terms of using the merchant as the transport for a push message; I guess
it would qualify as push if the merchant has no way of adjusting the
message sent by the payer to their FI.

The biggest challenge with push is dealing with offline transactions where
the payer needs to somehow pass a token or similar to the merchant that is:
a) single-use/can't be spent twice
b) can be verified by the payee

Allowing the merchant/payee to act as a transport means you can transact
when the payer is offline but not the payee so solves half the problem.