Re: Web Payments Schema & RDF

On 9 October 2014 02:14, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> On 10/08/2014 04:27 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> > On 10/8/14 3:02 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> >> I think perhaps it makes sense to roll a small vocab for my own
> >> needs right now, which works with mainstream tooling and has
> >> correct definitions, and then align with with work (either through
> >> a refactor or an owl : sameAs) when the machine readable side is up
> >> to date.
> >>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> Do that, all the time. It's a zillion times more productive.
> >>
> >> You've convinced me.  Even tho it's going to be painful, I think
> >> it's time to embrace this kind of decentralization.
> >
> > It's painless and exhilarating. Go for it!!
>
> Or you could just do a pull request on the document and fix it yourself.
> While not as exhilarating, it would be far less painless. :)
>

>From my experience, this isnt always the easiest path.  For example, the
last pull request I made to this document, I discussed with you, vetted the
text and went over the files.  I refactored a lot of my work, which took me
days to align with schema.  You said it looked good, but it was
unilaterally removed.  I dont take issue with this decision at all.

It's just that most people that do things in this group have limited time
and that means it's time consuming to get changes through and things can
slip through the gaps.  The attraction of reusing this schema is that it's
well presented and has good definitions.  But if by this time it's not
reaching best practice standard (the machine readable part is out of date,
no conneg etc.) I'm left to wonder when that will happen, and in a fast
moving project, it makes more sense to embrace and extend.

This is in no way a criticism, I'm kind of in awe of the amazing amount of
effort you and dave put in, on so many fronts.  It's just a case that of
being practical and having a commitment to linked data best practices, I
dont think this work meets my current needs, but I'll be watching the
evolution and it's the nature of linked data that I can add pointers (eg
sameAs) to related terms, it just means that there's a bit more branching
in future in the software on terms, but I think it's something that can be
lived with.