Re: Just off the wire

On 1 November 2014 10:49, Rene Bartsch <ml@bartschnet.de> wrote:

> Am 2014-11-01 01:25, schrieb Pindar Wong:
>
>> http://www.coindesk.com/wc3s-web-payments-redesign-bypass-bitcoin/ [1]
>>

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] http://www.coindesk.com/wc3s-web-payments-redesign-bypass-bitcoin/
>>

> Current payment systems have 4 drawbacks:
>
> - Fragmentation of currencies (USD, EUR, ...)
> - Fragmentation of payment providers (PayPal, Mastercard, VISA, local
> banks, ...) with different concepts and data sets
> - Manipulation of accounts
> - Only trustee accounts
>
> The complexity of (currencies x payment providers = oo) renders existing
> payment systems unusable in a global network. I don't see a chance to pack
> all that currencies and payment providers with different systems into one
> API/GUI. It doesn't solve the manipulation of accounts, either.
>
> A Bitcoin wallet integrated into browsers on the other hand solves all
> three problems:
>
> 1. Users buy Bitcoins and transfer them to their browser wallet -> only
> one currency
> 2. Blockchain -> ONE global payment system ANYONE can join
> 3. Blockchain -> no manipulation of accounts/malicious trustees
>
> Considering the "ambitious" interest group roadmap I suggest partnering up
> with Mozilla to integrate a Bitcoin wallet into Firefox and show the W3C
> what's technically possible.

Good points.  Would love to see such a wallet demoed.  Perhaps copay is
heading in the right direction ( https://copay.io/ )

But last I heard from mozilla's engineering team, they considered key
management in a browser to be too difficult a problem for them to solve.

Suspect you would need to look elsewhere for a solution.