Re: Strong authentication for PayPal versus WebPayments

On 5/7/14 1:47 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> Please, this posting is about strong authentication from a technical point of view and
> has nothing to do with linked data etc...
>
> PayPal is a member of the FIDO alliance, the SDO behind U2F.  U2F is optimized and
> architected for SOP (Same Origin Policy) operation which makes it a perfect fit for
> super-providers like PayPal, Google and Facebook.
>
> The problem as I see it, is that there are no counterparts to U2F for the "distributed web".
> Well, actually there are, but the issue haven't really been recognized yet :-)
>
> Anders

Linked Data, or more precisely Linked Open Data, is all about the
"distributed web" comprised of data where the following hold true:

1. HTTP URIs are used to denote entities
2. HTTP URIs resolve to descriptions of the entities they denote
3. Entity descriptions take the form of entity relationship statements,
expressed using RDF abstract syntax
4. Entity descriptions are persisted to a variety of media using RDF
notations (e.g., N-Triples, Turtle, JSON-LD, HTML+RDFa etc..).

You can't seek a "distributed web" and also indicate Linked Data is
irrelevant.

Linked Data simply makes structured data representation webby (or
web-like). The very thing you need in any "distributed web".

Links:

[1] http://slidesha.re/1epEyZ1 -- Understanding Data .
[2] http://bit.ly/1cchBvV -- General Glossary of Terms in regards to
Data matters.