Re: APRICOT 2014 closing keynote on payments

Pindar, Great presentation.

I have one point to mention which is sort of tangential to this list,
but evidently is quite important to the approach being pursued in Hong
Kong. The issue is that the phrase "Intellectual Property" seems
entirely coherent to some and entirely incoherent to others:
-- World Intellectual Property Organization http://www.wipo.int
-- Did You Say "Intellectual Property"? It's a Seductive Mirage
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html

I know many people roll their eyes at this, but it's more than an
academic issue -- it's political and legal. And the tug-of-war goes
back centuries:
Back to the Future (1773) http://www.ifosslr.org/ifosslr/article/view/23

Two neutral alternatives that don't raise red flags for the
free/libre/open source community are:

* "intellectual resources"
-- Introduced by Kenneth Boulding in a 1963 article:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/985441

* "intellectual capital" which the accounting professions settled on:
-- Understanding corporate value: managing and reporting intellectual
capital  http://www.cimaglobal.com/Documents/ImportedDocuments/tech_techrep_understanding_corporate_value_2003.pdf
-- MERITUM Project Guidelines for Managing and Reporting on Intangibles
www.pnbukh.com/files/pdf_filer/MERITUM_Guidelines.pdf
-- Intellectual capital: Concepts, components and indicators: A
literature review
http://www.growingscience.com/msl/Vol2/msl_2012_185.pdf
-- Intellectual Capital Statements - The New Guideline
https://pure.au.dk/ws/files/32340329/guideline_uk.pdf
-- Intellectual Capital Accounts. Reporting and managing intellectual
capital. The Danish Trade and Industry Development Council. Submission
to the OECD. http://www.oecd.org/sti/ind/1948022.pdf

Writing in my capacity as...

Joseph Potvin
 Chair, OSI Working Group on Management Education About
Free/Libre/Open  Methods, Processes and Governance
 jpotvin@opman.ca
 Mobile: 819-593-5983

--
Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations