Re: VOTE: Revised Payment Initiation / Wallet Web Payments Workshop Use Cases

On 07/22/2014 08:50 AM, Joseph Potvin wrote:
> RE: Use Case: A merchant advertises different details, such as price,
> for an offer of sale based on potential payment processor choice.
>
> I wish to ask if the "value-in-exchange benchmarking" issue I
> presented about in Paris is intended to be incorporated in this use
> case, or is benchmarking elsewhere and I haven't noticed?

The value-in-exchange benchmarking issue was deemed to be out of scope
for the first iteration (and is something that could be implemented by
payment processors w/o it being mandated via a specification). We don't
know if it's a good technical design to mandate it in the specification
because we can't really police it via technology. It's a policy
decision, not a technological one.

I've added the use case you mentioned back into the list for further
discussion:

> Use Case: Payee and payers negotiate secure price in an open market.
>  They are free to choose all three essential attributes of the
> numeric quantity expressing a price (e.g. 10.99), namely: a
> unit-of-account (e.g. $ £ € ¥ etc.); a medium-of-exchange (e.g.
> debit card, credit card, web payment etc.); and, a value-in-exchange
> benchmark (e.g. WM Reuters Spot Exchange; Purchasing Power Parity;
> Commodity Index; etc.)

It's already agreed that we will support listing the unit-of-account,
and medium-of-exchange. I guess we could also support value-in-exchange
by providing an index URL along w/ the price of the good... so the way
one /could/ list items for sale is:

"payee": [{
    "id": "http://example.com/articles/1#offer-payee",
    "type": "Payee",
    "currency": "USD",
*** "priceBenchmark": "https://reduters.com/spot-exchange-rates",
    "destination": "https://payswarm.example.com/i/bob/accounts/primary",
    "rate": "0.05",
    "rateType": "FlatAmount",
    "comment": "Payment for PaySwarm in Practice by Digital Bazaar."
  }],

We'll discuss in more detail on tomorrows call.

Who sets the value-in-exchange benchmark? The payer or the payee?