Re: Distinctions between Payments CG, Payments Workshop, and web-payments.org

On 9 January 2014 22:30, Martin Hepp <martin.hepp@unibw.de> wrote:

> Hi Manu,
>
> I think you are right in refusing his broad request - quite clearly, a
> leading player in the field of centralized, traditional payment services is
> likely to regard innovation as a potential threat.
>
> However, I think he makes two points that we should address:
>
> 1. We need a "meta-architecture" and document that makes clear that for
> payment, as for any other component of the Web, there is and will always be
> variety and choice, i.e. that the CG is not aiming at standardizing payment
> per se on the Web; just providing frameworks for innovation. My impression
> is that the current message could be interpreted as stepping onto existing
> territory. That causes hefty reactions and is unnecessary for innovative
> approaches. Let traditional users be happy with Paypal and credit cards,
> and let Payswarm and Bitcoin and other approaches gradually complement the
> array of choices.

+1 modularity is a key axiom of the web, so while a spec may be an example
of how to do things, it need not be a straight jacket

> 2. He is right that claiming to address the issues of security and
> identity as a whole at Web scale is way outside the abilities of a CG, WG,
> or even the W3C as a whole. People who work e.g. in credit card fraud
> detection can tell you that this is an area where standards bodies like the
> W3C have very little to contribute to a real solution, same as a W3C WG on
> "Malware Protection" would likely contribute little to protecting people
> from malware. This is simply because the challenge in both cases is the
> quality of execution and the optimization of implementations rather than
> the standardization of interfaces.

The URI is the value proposition of The Web.  And the *I* stands for
Identifier.  To the extent that an identifier can be used to denote an
identity, there needs to be a spec that addresses this.  If such a spec
exists elsewhere as a W3C REC it could be referenced, but until that point
it's in the critical path of web scale payements.