Re: P2P Payments

On 2014-12-05 17:38, Manu Sporny wrote:
<snip>

> What Anders is pushing for is a device (like FIDO's U2F devices only w/o
> the Same Origin Policy (SOP)) that you can use on any website to
> digitally sign something (after typing in a PIN on the device to
> complete the signature).

This is what Microsoft suggests:
https://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/wiki/images/d/dd/CertAndKey_Management_Requirements_for_WebCrypto_microsoft.pdf

Although the details are still very sketchy I don't see this as a viable solution,
it looks like an orgy in security-GUIs, something which has a proven track-record to go wrong.

> Typically, Secure Elements have been used for
> this sort of activity. WebCrypto has no support for this right now,
> although they're trying to figure out a way to make this happen at W3C.
> Virginie Galindo, the chair of the WebCrypto group and Gemalto employee
> (they make/sell Secure Elements), just presented to the Web
> Payments IG User Payment Agent Task Force about this an hour ago.

Haven't the payment-card industry already had like 15 years figuring
out how this should work?

So what "Anders is pushing for" is something which *does not* directly
expose keys (or other sensitive stuff) to "alien" sites:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sysapps/2014Nov/0006.html

Is this feasible?  I don't know for sure, I just thought that if an application
installed locally is trusted to do certain things the same application
(or a subset of it) ought to be [automatically] trusted even if supplied as a
part of an untrusted piece of code provided that the platform can:

1) verify that the trusted code is authentic

2) protect the trusted code from intrusion by the untrusted code

That is, the model for interaction is crucial thing.

Anders