Re: Dealing with the NASCAR Syndrome for Web Payments

On 23/04/14 17:23, Kumar McMillan wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2014, at 11:17 AM, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> How does the user can choose between payment solutions? This is why
>> it may be better for the same interface to bind to the user's choice
>> of wallet (there could be more than one), and leave it to the wallet
>> to provide the UX for for the user to pick her preferred payment
>> solution for the current transaction. This means we also need to
>> discuss how to allow the user to register and unregister wallets and
>> payment solutions, and to allow for both locally installed and
>> remotely hosted implementations.
> Yeah, there’d probably need to be a chooser UI somewhere but I’m still not sure you need to impose identity on payment providers for that. A chooser UI might bring us back to the nasar problem though. However, by pushing the nascar problem into a unified API you’d still be solving an important part of the problem. I.E. Having the *merchant* deal with the nascar problem is more of a burden.

The idea is to remove the need for the merchant to deal with the nascar
problem.  Competition amongst wallet providers should improve the UX for
users, e.g. limiting the choices to the user's installed payment
solutions, and preferences (perhaps based upon past behavior).  The
browser would still need to ask the user which wallet to use if more
than one is registered. However, if wallet providers do a good job, many
users would only have one.  I don't see a need for a unified API, apart
from the payment request by the app, and the interface needed to support
registration.