Re: Dealing with the NASCAR Syndrome for Web Payments

On 04/23/2014 11:43 AM, Kumar McMillan wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2014, at 8:17 PM, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
> wrote:
>> 4. Standardize payment initiation:
>> https://web-payments.org/specs/source/web-commerce-api/ 5.
>> Standardize digital receipts:
>> https://web-payments.org/specs/source/web-commerce/
>
> To specifically solve the nascar problem I think you only need these
> two things ^

To clarify, that's all you need to solve the payments NASCAR problem.
There are at least two NASCAR problems:

2. Payments

and there are others like the "Share on Social Network" NASCAR problem.

The Identity Credentials specification could solve all three using the
same mechanism because they're all the same problem. That problem is
transmitting your preferred handlers to the website you're using.

That said, you're right Kumar, we don't /need/ to solve the identity
problem for payments.

> A web API (or JavaScript shim) just needs to know how to invoke a
> compliant payment provider and how to verify the purchase. Each
> payment provider could still handle identity / credentials
> themselves.

That's truthy. :)

How does the website discover which payment provider to invoke?