Re: Payment Applications vs Payment Platforms

> On 10/22/2013 05:34 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> > I think we need to distinguish between payments applications and
> > platforms suited for hosting such applications.
>
> Agreed. We've sort of done so informally in the documents we create and
> haven't seemed to have the need for an official definition, if that's
> what you're asking for.
>
> > I'm personally only interested in the latter which means that from
> > my perspective the #1 thing is establishing platform requirements.
>
> This group has traditionally been interested in both, as we need to
> understand both the platform and the applications that run on top of
> that platform to determine whether or not the ecosystem(s) that we
> create here works as advertised.
>
> Have you looked at this yet?
>
> https://payswarm.com/specs/source/use-cases/
>
> We establish platform requirements by outlining use cases (payment
> applications) that run on top of the payment platform(s).

I have indeed looked at the use-case specifications but I must admit that I don't fully
understand how they can be converted into the "Web Plumbing" I'm focusing on.

As it appears to me (right or wrong) you have rather defined a number of capabilities
of a future payment system with a strong bias towards digital goods and services.

Although a completely distributed model would be great, I believe the federated model
still has some gas left and may also be easier to get wide-scale support for.  Right now we
are facing the opposite where a handful of "Super Providers" are challenging a technically
somewhat dated banking society.

That is, I want to resurrect 3D Secure from the dead and also provide its gazillion of
local look-a-likes with nicer costumes.  Question: is there anybody else out there with
such esoteric interests?  I can obviously not do this myself only...

Cheers
Anders