Re: Vehicle Currency in Web Payments [WAS: Ripple]

I think a lot of people get hung up on XRP. For the most part, I expect the
majority people who use the Ripple payment network to be able to ignore
XRP. XRP will just be the hidden plumbing.

Payments in the Ripple network can bridged through other currencies besides
XRP. It is completely optional for payments to bridge through XRP.
Generally, payments will only bridge through XRP, if people find it more
efficient or otherwise desirable to do so.

At the time a payment bridged through XRP happens, the value of XRP is
probably less important than the spread. As transactions occurs atomically
and the spread is what is captured as profit by the market makers on each
side of the XRP trade and is the apparent cost to the counter-parties.

The Ripple network combines a currency market with a payment network. This
encourages the instant settlement of cross currency payments versus
netting. For market makers to make a profit providing liquidity they must
beat all other competing market makers with the best rate. This should give
excellent rates for the counter parties of a payment.

I would guess XRP would only have the best spread, if network participants
want it to.

This might then turn the discussion to: what will have the best spread and
what might improve the various spreads?

Additionally, I expect we will soon have a better understanding of the
economics of the Ripple network shortly as it rapidly gains adoption or
not. This could eliminate much of the need for speculation.

-Arthur