Re: US Agencies to Say that Bitcoin Offer Legitimate Benefits

The first panel also had Edward W. Lowery III
Special Agent in Charge, Criminal Investigative Division
U.S. Secret Service, U.S. Department of Homeland Security

As someone in the Bitcoin space, I didn't find it surprising. It reinforced
that the government is aware of Bitcoin, they want to foster innovation but
also come up with ways to prevent illegal activities because of the new
technology. They said Bitcoin itself isn't illegal.

This article has caused quite the stir in the Bitcoin community though
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/