Re: Ripple

Hello Evan, Thanks for this!

RE: If you want to see all of the outstanding offers for any currency pair
you can do that directly in the client.

So, I see in my UML mind a stickman, whose role is labelled: [Fill in
blank, referred to here as A]. There's another one: [Fill in blank,
referred to here as B].  Let's say A1, A2 and A3 each want some USD, and
each is offering their preferred amounts of EUR to buy those USD.  Let's
say B wants some EUR, and so...

RE: the path finding engine will search direct and indirect paths for the
rate that is best for the initiator.

So the path finding engine discovers that A2 is offering B the best rate.

Q1: What is it about the A's role, and about the B's role that positions
all the A's as currency price makers, and all the B's as currency price
takers?

Q2: In this model, what are the criteria and information sources that A1,
A2 and A3 are assumed to use when offering their preferred amounts of EUR
to buy those USD? Anything and everything available to them, correct?

Now, the following observation is not meant in any way to challenge Ripple.
It's only meant to acknowledge the environment within which Ripple and all
the A's and all the B's have to live, for the time being. This is the $5.3
trillion / day forex ecosystem dominated by top predators:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-04/swiss-regulator-probes-alleged-foreign-exchange-manipulation.html
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/11/15/foreign-exchange-trading-investigation/3573499/
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/30/barclays-cooperating-investigation-manipulation-currency-markets
"Treasury's War" by Juan Zarate
http://www.publicaffairsbooks.com/publicaffairsbooks-cgi-bin/display?book=9781610391153
"Currency Wars" by James Rickards
http://www.us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781591844495,00.html

In this ecosystem, then, I'm wondering from where it is assumed that A1, A2
and A3 get their information to offer their preferred amounts of EUR to buy
USD? Let's structure this directly:  Let's say that A1 and A2 are machines
running unique forex algorithms, and leave A3 as a flesh&blood person. So
A3 is somebody who "watches the forex market" and reckons that some amount
of EURs for USD is a good bet this afternoon.

Q: Can a machine register to and participate in Ripple? Or do all Ripple
members need to be flesh&blood people. Is it possible for a machine to join
Ripple as if it were a flesh&blood person, and if it did, would the Ripple
system or team know or care?  Today, what's the proportion of machine
accounts to flesh&blood accounts amongst Ripple subscribers?

Let's focus on A1 and A2 machines. What are the most important data feeds
that each machine's algorithm might be coded to draw upon in order to
generate their EUR-for-USD offers at any given moment?  Let's say A1 is
designed to statistically interpret the WM-Reuters spot rate
http://www.wmcompany.com/pdfs/026808.pdf and is able to project it
correctly by a few hours 60 per cent of the time. And lets say A2 is
designed as "a news-trading algorithm. The computer will not be interested
at all in long-term value considerations. It will look at semantic
relations in news announcements"
http://www.lgt-cm.com/shared/.content/publikationen/$verwaltung_publikationen/sciene/The-self-organization-of-markets-LGT-working-paper-v2-1_en.pdf

RE: "Regarding the order book and exchange rates, the order book is public
and is one of the pieces of information the system uses consensus to
determine."

Okay, and this order book is determined by all the offers from A1, A2 and
A3, however that plays out. Correct?

Q: How does an EUR→XRP rate and an XRP→USD rate play into all of this?
Here's what I presume, correct me if I'm wrong...

RE:  Transactions can and often do take multiple paths to get the best rate

A path is a series of trades underway at a given time, correct, such as
USD→CAD with CAD→EUR to get a USD→EUR trade.  And where a suitable path
can't be found, the Ripple algorithm will insert XRP. Correct? XRP always
fills in gaps.

Q:  Does the value of 1 XRP matter?  As mere gap-filler, I don't think so.
XRP is just grease. Am I wrong?  In what context does the value of 1 XRP
really matter?

The system is not designed for XRP hoarding, like BTC hoarding is done and
even encouraged. It seems to me that XRP does what economists do: "Lets
assume that this in-between trade did exist to complete the path."  Then
act as if it does. I don't mean to criticize -- it's a clever thing to do.
But some have expressed concern that Ripple Labs is hoarding all the XRP,
and that they will increase in value. So how about this:

Q: Why not set the purchasing power of 1 XRP to the tangible market price
of 1 banana?

The 100 billion XRP's would thus be valued at about a dozen container ships
of bananas
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-29/maersk-s-8-4-billion-bananas-add-to-ship-profits-freight.html
I jest, of course. But my fundamental point here is that if XRP were tied
to something tangible, RippleLabs would be trusted not to be playing some
sort of massive hoarding game. XRP would be understood to be just grease.
...or bananas.

RE:  all the end user really needs to know about is the amount it'll cost
them in the currencies they have to send some amount in another currency to
someone else

Is this "end user" a price taker?  I'm always interested in the price
makers.
Joseph Potvin

<http://goo.gl/Ssp56>