Re: Building A Paid App For Firefox OS

On Feb 27, 2013, at 12:06 PM, Linus Olsson <linus@flattr.com> wrote:

> Hello all, my first reply here. I'm CEO & Co-founder of Flattr btw.
>
> Just wanted to add that this is in reality not a problem. Lets face it, people that don't want to pay will always find a way to get around things. The energy should be put into making it as easy as possible for the people that want to pay instead of using it on a problem that is in reality not possible to solve. Or worth it. Many people also choose free/open/pirated/hacked/etc because it simpler then paying.

Hi Linus.
I definitely agree. The article on the Hacks blog was meant for developers to get a feel for how the app payment API works. It didn't mention the buy flow but that is our #1 priority to get right. It's currently a pretty seamless flow; the user can put a charge on her phone bill with the press of a button. However, the first-time buy flow still needs some optimization since there is a bit of sign-up involved.

Naturally, Mozilla's navigator.mozPay() API will be competing with all other web-based payment flows so the market will force us to make it smooth for users and keep transaction fees low. That is, *any* web based pay flows can take payments on Firefox OS. No one will be blocked from the system. An app can drop in a stripe.js script or whatever they like. The navigator.mozPay() API is just one that we will ship on the device so that developers don't have to think too hard about taking payments if they don't want to. (This applies more to in-app payments which I'll be posting an article on shortly.)

It will be interesting to see which payment flows rise to the top in Firefox OS. I'm curious about Affirm (which was posted to the web-payments list). They are allowing first time buyers to essentially pay on credit without any sign-up which is very clever.

Kumar