Re: Call for Single Media Type Design for Payments

On 2013-12-28 23:03, mike amundsen wrote:
> Anders:
>
> Think of this as a kind of "HTML" for payments. A single payments media type would be able to express all the payments vocabulary (data) and handle all the possible use cases (actions).  Client apps would only need to "recognize" the data and actions and could work with any server regardless of the data that appears in a response or the order of the actions for any server.
>
> The Call Control industry did this with VoiceXML/CCXML and it allowed both competitors and channel partners to work together with minimal friction.
>
> I think it could work for payments, too.

I think it could but only for a rather specific subset of payment schemes.

In my world, there is rather a "Negotiation Phase" where the payer and payee concludes the union of compatible payment methods/resources.
This method doesn't require a lot of very difficult standardization work since a payment resource could be expressed as a couple of URIs, one holding the technical method (protocol), the other holding the payment network/account type (VISA, Bitcoin, etc.).

That is, what happens after selecting a mutually compatible payment resource would be implicit.  Maybe not the most elegant design there is, but my faith in static systems on web is quite limited which is why I'm personally focusing on "Nuts and Bolts" rather  than full-blown creations.  The extremely Primitive, User-hostile, and Non-secure methods currently used for credit-card payments on the Internet, proves that there's still a lot of fundamental pieces missing in the web-platform itself.

Google's U2F will most likely infuse new life in the [generally] pretty complacent world of web payments.

Anders