Re: Ripple a scam?

Ripple is not a centralized system.  The *beta* is currently
centralized...because it is not released yet.  There is a crucial
difference -- when the beta is over, OpenCoin will no longer be a central
place for law enforcement, double-spending will be neigh impossible,
blocking payments will be impossible etc.  This is like suggesting when
bitcoin was a project on Satoshi's desktop/IDE of choice that Satoshi
himself could break it.  Of course he could.  These criticisms are,
however, more valid on www.villages.cc and previous instantiations of
Ripple (whoever runs the server there could reverse transactions/etc) but
these threats are not the ones worried about up until recently -- the
biggest threat was apathy, and the idea not gaining enough traction to be
useful in real life.  That has been The threat until 2012, but there's good
reason that at this point, we may be finally more or less free of that
threat.

--
GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any
forum and add 1 to the generation