Re: SOPA/PIPA and this CG

On 1/14/12 8:31 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:

> On Monday, we would switch the site to serve that page as the landing
> page from January 16th 2012 through January 19th 2012. Any objections?
>
> -- manu

Hi Manu,

Thank you; I had been following SOPA to some degree but that Wikipedia
page reference you included made a lot of things more clear.

I have an observation about your proposed course:

SOPA is a bad thing and should be killed; but the problems of the web
that it fumblingly attempts to solve -- unfair distribution of money
for intellectual property -- are, IMO, exactly what the web-payments
group will solve if a level-playing-field model can be made to work
for easy payment transfers.

This leads the thought that the work of the group -- as evidenced by
that stunningly productive and interesting discussion posted from the
teleconference for January 13th -- is more important than a sideline
to fight SOPA. If SOPA goes through of course it will be bad; but it's
being fought by large corporate and NGO entities and even if it goes
through it will be challenged in court. In other words, I think it's a
red herring for this group. Sure, put up a page to show support. But
don't spend much time on it. The real way to fight it is to just keep
doing what you're doing, and and get a real functioning alternative in
place.

Steven Rowat