Re: Why Linked Data?

On 2/10/12 4:37 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 10 February 2012 02:22, Manu Sporny<msporny@digitalbazaar.com>  wrote:
>> On 02/09/2012 03:52 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>> I've had a lot of feedback on the Web Credits spec so far and I
>>> think there is a common question.
>>>
>>> "Why use Linked Data"
>>
>> You too, huh? :)
>>

>>> I'm unsure as a standards community we've explained the case well
>>> enough to those that may be relatively new to the concept.  Perhaps
>>> it's something we take for granted.
>>
>> I think you're right... very few know about Linked Data outside of the
>> Web standards world.
>>

>>> I was wondering how we can make the case for linked data and whether
>>> that motivation should be translated into our documents.
>>
>> An attempt to do this was made in a previous e-mail to David Nicol.
>> Perhaps we need to add an item on the PaySwarm wiki?
>>

>>> Perhaps when things are still relatively early in standardization
>>> process (Community Group) we should focus some time on discussing
>>> the advantages of the LD approach to standarization?
>>
>> I'd be happy to have this discussion on here - we just need somebody to
>> play the part of "non-believer" :)
>
> What is linked open data?
> ======================
>
> Linked open data is a movement that was started Tim Berners-Lee, the
> inventor of the Web, and has been maturing in the free software and
> open data communities for the last decade.
>
> Further information can be found at:
>
> http://linkeddata.org/
> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html

Linked Open Data (LOD)  is a community project that emerged in response
to TimbL's design issues meme re. Linked Data. It emerged from the SWEO
(Semantic Web Education & Outreach) effort circa. 2007 [1][2] . It's
first project was DBpedia.

> Who is using this?
> =================
>
> Linked data in the last few years has seen increasing adoption in a
> variety of places.
>
> Most major govts. are now on board with the program to increase transparency
>
> Over 10,000 of popular retailers from bestbuy to sears to volkwagen
> use linked data
>
> Most of the the popular search engines are now linked data friendly
>
> Recently facebook joined the cloud, and google, liverjournal, opera,
> hi5, status.net and others have made some effort
>
> Perhaps most importantly the open technology allows individuals to
> take control of their data and join the cloud with their own home
> page.
>

> What are the technical implications?
> ==============================
>
> Over the past few years it has become easier and easier to deploy
> linked data solutions.  Ten years ago it was XML based, but those days
> are long gone.  Linked data can now be deployed easily in web pages
> and is part of the new HTML5 standard, on also using the popular JSON
> format.
>

> Why is this Important?
> =====================
>
> Data freedom is one of the key tenets of human freedom.  Allowing data
> to be free reused and remixed in interesting way is what made the web
> popular in the first place.  We are still in early days but the more
> people that participate the greater the benefit for everyone.
>
> Longer term this will enable data driven applications to become first
> class citizens of the web, and interact with each other in interesting
> ways.

You have to start with Why? :-)

Links:

1.
http://www.w3.org/wiki/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData
-- LOD Wiki
2.
http://www.w3.org/wiki/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/NewsArchive
-- LOD diary that basically works you through its history .

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen