Re: Singapore to develop common QR code for payments

> On Sep 1, 2017, at 3:26 AM, KETELS Kris <Kris.KETELS@swift.com> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>

> Do anyone know of other similar initiatives like this? Is this stg for the IG?
> https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/31011/singapore-to-develop-common-qr-code-for-payments?utm_medium=dailynewsletter&utm_source=2017-8-30

Hi Kris,

I’m happy to share a few thoughts here about QR codes and Web Payments! I welcome
corrections to the description below.

Assuming that a QR code includes the necessary information to identify an origin and
populate a payment request, here is how a user experience could work using
Web standards (that are currently not yet widespread):

1) The user starts an app that reads QR codes. The app could either be native or Web.
    If a Web app, it will use Media Capture and Streams [1] to get access to the camera (with
    user permission).

2) The app translates the QR code into a URL with enough data to build a payment request.

3) The app causes the browser to open that (checkout) page.

4) The user pushes the buy button, which invokes Payment Request API [2]. After that,
    it’s the PR API user experience.

Comments:

- Variation: User is already shopping on merchant.com and pushes a button to scan QR codes
  (e.g., to populate a shopping cart). When done, the user pushes the “buy” button.

- There are JavaScript libraries to decode QR codes. While it is possible that encoding and
  decoding QR codes could become built-in browser capabilities, I have not heard enthusiasm
  from browser makers to move in that direction.

Questions:

 - Of the two variations of user experience describe above, is either realistic? Are there others?

 - Is there value in publishing a QR code “vocabulary" that would make it easy for a Web site to build a payment request?
   (Cf the related EMVCo spec [4]).

Ian

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/mediacapture-streams/
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/payment-request/