Re: post competition and banking in a post psd2 world

On 2016-05-22 23:03, Frédéric Meignien wrote:
> This paper understates the impacts.
> The future is : banks going out of the payment market, voluntarily or
> not, and many types of new actors coming on the scene.
> That is why, in our work, we must keep an eye on how the API
> reconfigures the roles of all the actors.

Since there is a certain inertia involved, consumers may not necessary
want to have their main account (where their salary lands) in Facebook
but one can imagine that they setup an auto-transfer link to a payment
provider that offers better conditions (interests, bonus) as well as
new options for using and receiving money.

A remaining issue is still how to define such APIs unless we are
talking about a super-provider that effectively sets the standard for
everybody else.  SEPA took a virtual eternity to develop so a set of
"next generation" providers must (in order to get anywhere) come up
with a MUCH better collaboration method.

If I were involved in such an endeavor I would consider an open source
reference system as well as free public servers for interoperability testing.
This will still not guarantee success and funding common work by competitors
has proven to be extremely difficult so from my horizon the super-provider
solution unfortunately looks way more realistic than new fancy APIs :-(

Anders