Re: Verifiable Claims Terminology - votes are in

On 06/19/2016 06:50 PM, Joe Andrieu wrote:
> Claim - aka verifiable claim - a signed statement by an entity about
>  another entity (or itself) Entity Credential -- A collection of
> claims (per the charter) Identity Profile -- A collection of
> credentials (per the terminology poll)

The great thing about voting is that everyone gets to participate.

The bad thing about voting is that sometimes the outcome of the votes
are a bit wonky.

In this case, the group decided on Entity Credential and Identity Profile.

>From an editorial (and marketing) standpoint, these choices are strange.

We should have picked either:

1. Entity Credential and Entity Profile, OR
2. Identity Credential and Identity Profile

A "X Credential" contains a set of claims from the same issuer.
A "X Profile" contains a set of "X Credential"s (not necessarily from
the same Issuer).

The latter contains the former, so it's strange that we chose different
names when the thing they're describing is the same type of thing.

We don't have to revisit this anytime in the next month or so, but I'm
just raising this to see if anyone else felt this cognitive dissonance
when they saw the results of the poll.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
JSON-LD Best Practice: Context Caching