Re: Agenda: VCTF Brad Hill Interview - Friday, January 8th 2016 - 12pm ET

On 01/08/2016 01:40 AM, Nick Shearer wrote:
>> The meeting is open to the general public. There are no
>> Intellectual Property Release requirements. The call will be
>> recorded and minuted to share with those that can't make it.
>
> What is the purpose of the audio recordings versus the regular
> minutes and how will they be archived? This seems unusual and not
> the standard W3C practice.

Hey Nick, sorry for the delayed response, I'm travelling on business for
the next week.

The recording of audio started back in the early Web Payments CG days
(4+ years ago). Keep in mind that it was post-financial meltdown days
and there was very little trust in the banking and financial sector.

When we went around talking about this "Web Payments" thing that we were
trying to get off of the ground, one criticism was some variation of
"What makes you any different from the 'behind closed doors' culture
that brought us the financial meltdown?"

So, we decided to err on the transparent side of things by recording and
posting the audio. It seemed to resonate with a number of communities
(IGF, ISOC, some W3C folks, etc.). People liked that there was recorded
audio, even if the vast majority of people never listened to it. Some
even noted its important wrt. Web history and investigative
research/journalism.

We're well aware that it makes some large organizations nervous,
however, so we've always allowed folks to request that their audio and
minutes be stricken from the record (and we've done so in every case).

The audio is archived in the same github repository as the VCTF website:

https://github.com/w3c/vctf/tree/gh-pages/meetings

If this policy is preventing an organization from participating, they
can ask that the audio recording be turned off during the calls that
they participate in.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
http://blog.meritora.com/launch/