Re: Web payments messaging and APIs

On 10/01/2015 02:13 AM, KETELS Kris wrote:
> My upfront apologies if my reading these documents have led to the
> wrong conclusions if there are other documents posted somewhere that
> contain the answers to my question.

Just a brief disclaimer before I attempt to answer your questions:

The documents that were linked to are being worked on in the "Web
Payments Community Group" (which is different than this group and the
upcoming Web Payments Working Group). The work the Web Payments
Community Group does is experimental and is not on the standards track.

*It is not predictive of what the Web Payments Working Group will do.*

It is merely meant as input into the discussion. The ideas are
half-baked and are in a constant state of flux.

Unfortunately, much of this stuff is either tribal knowledge and/or
documented (badly and out of date) here:

https://web-payments.org/specs/

> The payments API 1.0 document contains the scenarios/transactions to
>  govern web payments.
>
> These calls / scenarios have no relationship with ISO 20022. Why is
> that?

The Web Payments API document is an attempt to create a payment scheme
agnostic mechanism to route payment initiation requests and payment
initiation responses via the Web. The relationship to ISO20022, card
networks, ACH, Bitcoin, Ven, Ripple, Ethereum, etc. are exposed in the
messages themselves, not the API.

Another way to put it is that the HTTP protocol (which moves documents
around the Web) is agnostic to the content that is shipped. It places
that content in the box and routes it to where it needs to go. In the
same way, we're trying to propose a mechanism that enables the Web
Payments work to express payment messages and route them via the various
proposed APIs in a payment scheme agnostic manner.

Trying ISO20022 to the Web Payments API is most likely the wrong level
of abstraction. Carrying ISO20022 messages is most likely best done by
ensuring that the messages that the Web Payments API routes are capable
of expressing ISO20022 message classes like PAIN and the like.

Again, this is just one proposal that's on the table. Google's Chrome
team has put another one forward, and the job of the Web Payments
Working Group is to sort this sort of stuff out.

Does that answer your question?

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Web Payments: The Architect, the Sage, and the Moral Voice
https://manu.sporny.org/2015/payments-collaboration/