RE: Request for Proposals - on-going and new work for the Web Payments IG

Hi David,

Perhaps related to the ISO 20022 liaison work and/or to other email communications on the relevance of crypto currencies and block chain technologies to the WPIG, I am reporting the following which may be of interest.

Not surprisingly, the ISO organization and specifically TC 68 (technical committee on financial services) is exploring the need (if any) for ISO standards related to crypto currencies and block chain technologies.

There are a few specific efforts underway.  One is a study group that is looking at the existing ISO 4217 currency code standard to determine if an effort is needed amend this standard or develop a new standard for codes that would address digital currencies, including such currencies that might be issued by a central bank or that are issued by a non-state actor.  One of the near term actions of this study group (which I chair, by the way) is to reach out to the broader community to seek their input on the need for a code standard to support digital currencies.  W3C may be a group that would want to offer a perspective on this.

Second, ISO has another exploration effort underway to look at the need for ISO standards related to the use of block chain technology in financial services activities.   Here too, W3C may have views.

Third, the above study group will be asking TC 68 Subcommittee 2 (data security) to explore the need for a standard security framework to assess the security robustness of various emerging digital currencies.

So, a lot going on in this area.  If you think the IG would be interested in more information, I could make a report at an upcoming IG meeting.

Claudia

Claudia S. Swendseid
Senior Vice President
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis