Re: [glossary] External data dictionary reference requirements

Ah, exactly the sort of list I had in mind, thanks.
http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison

RE: "We should evaluate each reference and determine whether it advances
our work. There may be different reasons to choose a reference (e.g., we
might want to refer to a widely accepted de jure standard in one place, or
an emerging specification from a de facto group that clearly has broad
adoption in another)."

Agreed, that's what I meant.

With a "WPIG Liaisons Task Force" (which I referred to last week as a
"Past-the-Puck Task Force"), the community can make a pro-active effort to
avoid:
(a) ad hoc cherry-picking this field here and that field there from amongst
overlapping standards & quasi-standards, which would surely lead to
semantic dissonance in our own data model
(b) inadvertent divergence from the structure and sematics of well-reviewed
standards & quasi-standards due to gaps in liaison with other standards
bodies
(c) getting accidentally caught up in un-reconciled redundancies amongst
other standards bodies. For example the W3C Liaison list include both OASIS
and UN/CEFACT, the former which hosts UBL, the latter which hosts ebXML.
UN/CEFACT Core Components (CC) provide naming rules and data types. UBL is
based on UN/CEFACT-CC, and provides a Business Information Entities
(address, payment) structured into specific document schemas (e.g. order,
invoice) with XML. But there's some redundancy and competition about where
one ends and the other begins. The WPIG ought to delineate its particular
areas of reliance on one and the other to avoid the problem of (a) above.

Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
jpotvin@opman.ca
Mobile: 819-593-5983