Re: [glossary] External data dictionary reference requirements

One example of a standards development body that W3C has a formal relationship with is ISO TC68 and ASC X9 given the WPIG's interest in ISO 12812 and 8583 as well as various security standards. Claudia

Claudia Swendseid

From: Joseph Potvin [mailto:jpotvin@opman.ca]
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 06:55 AM
To: E.R.Fekkes@rn.rabobank.nl <E.R.Fekkes@rn.rabobank.nl>; Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>; Web Payments IG <public-webpayments-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [glossary] External data dictionary reference requirements

RE: Are there specific standards bodies FORMALLY recognized by the W3C?

Hmm, in fact I was hoping there were but I don't know.

In domains like payments and e-commerce, any Venn diagram of the relevant deep-rooted standards bodies will look like the overlapping circles of the Olympic logo. So formal liaisons seem to me indispensible to facilitate dedicated efforts to map the structure, semantics & syntax.  Ideally the sort of formal recognition I had in mind for this IG would be like these examples:
W3C & OASIS http://www.w3.org/Submission/2006/01/w3c-oasis-cgm-final-051215.pdf

W3C & OMA http://www.w3.org/2004/05/W3C-OMA-Agreement-FINAL.html

W3C & VoiceXML Forum http://www.w3.org/2001/10/MOU.txt

Here also are some non-W3C examples:
* IEC, ISO, ITU & UN/ECE
http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/ebusiness/Pages/mou/MoUMG-members.aspx

* ISO & IEC
http://www.iso.org/iso/jtc1_home.html

* IETF & ITU
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6756

* IETF & IEEE 802
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-rfc4441rev-08

RE: I am not sure if it is right to label this as the PRIMARY default external source.

This IG has correctly identified ISO 20022 as the primary default external standard for the exchange of financial information. In a nutshell, my recommendation is for this W3C initiative to equivalently reference both ISO 20022 and ISO 19845 (i.e. UBL  http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=66370  due for final vote next month).

SWIFT brought uniformity to the financial info for 20022, but things aren't quite as elegant in the realm of e-commerce standards. Rather than a nice orderly Olympic logo sort of Venn Diagram, it's more like scribbled circles, with the result that there's been considerable confusion about which standards bodies cover what aspects. Here's a (2011) effort by OASIS/UBL Co-Chair Ken Holman to situate these various circles:
http://eeiplatform.com/4701/why-consider-cii-or-sepa-with-the-advent-of-ubl-2-1/

Original source: http://ubl.xml.org/book/export/html/234

Things have advanced in the subsequent 4 years, and based on what I see, I recommend that UBL be given the same status as 20022 in this IG's work, acknowledging that there are likely a few aspects where they overlap an must be reconciled.

This also means that anything which shows up in this W3C IG/GC work as "in scope", and which is already addressed in those other standards (ditto for others that I've not mentioned here), should be pointed at, not re-created or re-stated.

Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations
The Opman Company | La compagnie Opman
jpotvin@opman.ca<mailto:jpotvin@opman.ca>
Mobile: 819-593-5983<tel:819-593-5983>