RE: [payment arch] Negotiation of payment terms

Several of the “drags” on providing of identity to the merchant are – loss of information to hackers; misuse by merchant; contact after the attempted sale even if the sale does not conclude; feeling of being invasive without merchant providing value prior to the customer (feeling by customer of providing data without “knowing” or yet “trusting” the merchant) – and the inevitable multiple (and sometimes disgracefully painful – near harassment – after the sale.

In my turns through eCommerce, there are some of the complaints I’ve heard and why some customers will resort to cash or avoiding certain merchants (several come to mind which personally are known to be horrific at harassment of continuous contact).  So one thing just might be – setting up a relationship PRIOR to purchase and then the consumer – once comfortable – will more easily be known to and trusting of the merchant.  This aspect is beyond the purchase process but is rarely considered by the retailers in the process.  Most consumers will provided nearly anything asked, but there is a ceiling to this blind trust.

One possible idea might be to identify that the merchant already knows the customer and take it down the mutual trust path being thought here.  The question is how to handle the “looker” online into the possibility of a merchant relationship.  Cart abandonment goes WAY up when the merchant “mugs” the buyer just to look or put something in a cart.  That might also by the case for the first sale and the customer experience after the sale.

While this isn’t really part of the “payment” – I think we need to be thinking of how the merchants of various types will want to handle the relationship and how much “needs” to be known for the sale until trust is established.  This differs for businesses which generally only do one sale to the client (or very few).

--
HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/"Oracle
David Jackson | Senior Director Financial Services

HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/commitment"Green Oracle