RE: action-16 IG deliverable and timeline

Hi Folks:

We agree with Stephane that the roadmap is a >very< important first work product for the Web Payments IG.

Please read this message with the expectation that you will volunteer in some way to help us get the proposed work done.

If the roadmap document is done well and in the near term, it should have the following effects on people:

1) It will please them that we got our first draft out so soon.

2) It will give them confidence that we know at least one (if not every) path through this very dense topic.

3) It will motivate them to come forward and indicate what they don't like and emphasize other paths that may be beneficial.

4) It will help define scope for future discussions.

In other words, the roadmap doesn't have to be perfect, nor is it expected to be the "last word" in web payments - it should be a thoughtful straw model.

Stephane listed what is required for a roadmap document at this point:

*an individual or a set of editors for the document [1]

*content

The charter[2] lays out possible ways to approach the roadmap.  Here's a sample outline for a roadmap document, based on my interpretation of the charter:

a) Target scenarios - the [use_case] task force will provide content.

b) Relevant existing standards - at our f2f we identified several.

c) Potential sample architectures - the [payment_agent] task force will provide content.  This section can

    address both near term and far-fetched possibilities, relevant actors, etc.

d) Projections - taking a, b, and c together, provide some idea of expected progress in the industry.

e) Glossary - the Glossary Task Force will provide content.

Using this outline, I think we can cover most of the "Web Payments Roadmap" items indicated in the charter.  But it's only my idea - tear it up and come up with something else if you like.

We are looking for editors to help us move this activity forward.  Joerg Heuer has graciously volunteered for some of the work.

Let's try to get this effort underway.  We are looking for volunteers to be editors for this roadmap document.

Best regards,

David Ezell

[1] for those of you familiar with W3C work, you'll recognize that being an editor is one of the

     >few< ways you can be recognized in any meaningful way.  Chairs are in many ways subordinate to editors,

     but don't tell them that.

[2] http://www.w3.org/2014/04/payments/webpayments_charter.html#deliverables