Re: Dwolla's Ben Milne says it like a boss...

An oft ignored economic benefit of real time payments is the increased
velocity of money.
I'm sure someone must have measured how much money is sitting in limbo at
any time because it's part of an in-flight transaction.

VocaLink have a nice piece on real time:
http://immediatepayments.vocalink.com/Benefits