Re: a question about reasoner

At 4:35 PM +0800 8/28/03, éÈïk wrote:
>Hi,
>   Rule-based reasoner and tableaux-based reasoner, which is the better
>for the reasoning in ontology? Should we divided reasoning and query
>into two part in ontology? Thank all.
>
>Best regards,
>Zhu Bin

This is a hard question to answer, as both rule-based and
tableaux-based reasoners are being used on OWL (see [1] for a list of
implementations that we are tracking, and please let us know if
you're doing one).  As far as dividing reasoning and query - there's
not really a known best practice yet - some applications combine them
in a single process, some do separate processes, some don't actually
differentiate the two, some do.  The WG is also not chartered to make
specific recommendations about how to process OWL, so we are not
working as a whole on specifying this -- however, a very good place
to ask about what people are doing and to get recommendations of good
practices is on the www-rdf-logic@w3.org mailing list - it is a
public list on which such discussion is encouraged.

  thanks for your interest in OWL
  Jim Hendler

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/impls
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  *** 240-277-3388 (Cell)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler      *** NOTE CHANGED CELL NUMBER ***