Re: Aligning with ONNX (from minutes of 5 Sep 2019 call)

Hi Benjamin,

Definitely agree that these low level APIs are not going to provide access
to the full performance benefits available to CoreML or NN API. And also
agree that we *want* a way for web apps to access the full power available
to native apps.

A few WebGL style ops could be a significant boost compared to today, and
should be easier to ship in the web platform in the near to medium term.
ONNX has over a hundred ops. PyTorch has over 200. TensorFlow has many more
than that. That's a pretty big API surface to standardize, and the op
definitions keep changing too. Maybe getting a couple of ops sorted out and
shipped is a prerequisite to getting more ambitious, and actually shipping
something sooner would be a good start?

Question for you: Is a graph API your ideal level of abstraction? Or would
you prefer a model loader and inference API, as has also been proposed in
the group? I was just talking with +Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com> about
the different levels again.

Cheers,
Jonathan