Re: Comments on Webizen proposal

On Mon, 12 May 2014 09:43:26 +0200, Jean-Charles (JC) VerdiƩ
<jicheu@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
[...]
>>> Not sure since I didn't write that section.  I've clarified based on
>>> my understanding.
>>
>> I hope it includes the idea that "a significant fraction of the fee paid
>> is made available to offices for translation of documents and real-time
>> interpretation of speakers at events, to encourage a more global
>> participation in W3C".
>
> If the money could be used for this, that would indeed be a great
> addition to the organization
>
> Regards
> JC

Hi chaals, JC,

Wrt "offices for translation of documents",

"translat*" is already listed in the Roles of W3C Offices; it is the 5th
for the five primary goals of a W3C Office.
   http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Offices/about/role/

In addition, W3C Offices are part of the W3C Authorized Translations
process.
   cf. http://www.w3.org/2005/02/TranslationPolicy.html

And, finally, (most of) W3C Offices perform quality checks (of text) of
volunteer translations.
   cf. http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation/

Now, real-time interpretation of speakers at events would certainly be
invaluable, as would be live transcriptions, but it's so pricey that I
doubt the funds raised by Webizens would be sufficient. My two cents.

Coralie

--
  Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Communications Team  -  http://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +336 4322 0001 http://www.w3.org/People/CMercier/