Re: What is a WebID?

On 11/9/23 9:21 AM, Nathan Rixham wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 2:17 PM Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>

>     On 11/9/23 8:57 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>     > FWIW: when we defined WebID at TPAC, TimBL explicitly said no 303s.
>
>     Because he knows what he is talking about, since he designed the
>     components that lead to the World Wide Web.
>
>     An HTTP URI that names an Agent unambiguously simply needs a "#"
>     tacked
>     on to it.
>
>     You make the URI (pointer) from the Profile Doc URL (address).
>
>     As I keep on trying to explain to you, right now the Web is full of
>     WebIDs that resolve to WebID-Profile documents using this importance
>     piece of Web magic.
>
>     The whole thing "just works" and it's happening without or without a
>     WebID spec from anyone.
>
>     ChatGPT and similar tools already understand this stuff too, so whom
>     exactly is some alternative spec going to bring on board?
>

> You said it yourself:
>
> >  having a MUST for RDF-Turtle (solely) compromised a powerful
> conceptual abstraction
>
> > JSON and/or JSON-LD are the formats that developers will use because
> there are a boatload of tools out their to aid their productivity.
>
> to implement a specification requires Turtle, but most developers use
> JSON(-LD), and the MUST precludes them or defines they must implement
> conneg to turtle

WebID-Profile doc doesn't need MUST for Turtle, since that's an alien
notation and serialization format to Web Developers. Basically, there
aren't enough tools to bring said developers on board.

A WebID is totally independent of Turtle and any other notation or
serialization format. I just wish it was never conflated with Turtle, as
the strange response to it being conflated with RDF/XML.  That approach
to these matters has never worked, and will never work.

A WebID is an identifier for unambiguously naming Agents. That's all
there should be to the matter.

WebID-Profile Documents and Authentication Protocols are a different matter.

> This is why a respec is needed, to define webid without a media type
> constraint (x a Agent) - superset

Possibly, but I fear that's headed to creating even more confusion --
since the basic definition still remains unclear, strangely.

> Then to define a subspec (webid-json(-ld)) that can be liberated of
> the the requirement for tutle - even if some other subspec like
> webid-rdf requires conneg & at least tutle, say in SOLID)

What's wrong with establishing the following:

1. WebID -- an identifier for unambiguously naming an Agent

2. WebID-Profile Document -- a document that describes an Agent named
using a WebID

3. WebID-TLS -- an authentication protocol for verifying credentials
expressed in an WebID-Profile Document

4. WebID-OpenIDConnect+OAuth -- an authentication protocol for verifying
credentials expressed in an WebID-Profile Document

That then gels nicely with Solid where the following are loosely coupled:

1. Identity -- via an identifier, in the form of a WebID that
unambiguously names an Agent.

2. Identification -- via a credentials expressed in profile document
that coalesce around a WebID via an entity relationship graph.

3. Authentication -- verification of credentials in a profile document
that coalesce around a WebID.

4. Authorization -- access controls tested against a verified WebID

BTW -- everything I've outlined above has been implemented in our
Virtuoso platform for longer tham I even care to remember these days.

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog:https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog