Re: What is a WebID?

On 11/9/23 10:47 AM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> do we actually still need to think in terms of documents. What if we
> removed the documents from the equation? URIs denote entities.

Exactly!

URIs denote entities, and if you use an HTTP URI to denote an entity it
becomes a name.

There's a subtly that's often overlooked across the the following terms
that's generally overlooked:

1. Denote -- act of denotation (signification) using a sign

2. Connote -- act of connotation i.e, descriptive representation

3. Name -- denotation -> connotation by way of indirection (however
that's achieved in a given medium)

In the hypermedia medium of the Web, an HTTP URI is a powerful naming
mechanism that only costs tacking on a "#" fragment identifier to a URL.

> When you resolve them you should get a representation of the requested
> partition/entity.  What does the detour over the document/URL/address
> actually add?  Provenance could be added to the delivered
> representation. Versioning info is mostly not existent.
>
> I see the necessity for the WWW, but not for the GGG.

The magic of "#" extends to Giant Global Entity relationship Graph
comprising entities, entity types, and entity relationship types.

Adding "#" to a URL costs zilch, while unleashing immense benefits.

BTW -- the big boys have already figured this out and are already using
it when publishing structured data islands (enhanced metadata) in their
HTML docs, despite being motivated by SSEO and the E-A-T it facilitates.

Examples of docs comprising WebIDs constructed using "#" based fragment
identifier:

1.
https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2023/11/02/new-study-validates-the-business-value-and-opportunity-of-ai/

2.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023/11/new-iphone-photography-exhibition-debuts-in-paris-on-november-10/

In addition, it is important to note that "#" usage goes hand-in-hand
with relative URLs which are now an integral part of JSON-LD 1.1.

A WebID as an HTTP URI that names Agents is something that's already
happening en masse.

All that's left is authentication usage i.e., beyond WebID-TLS which is
already happening to e.g., Solid (via solid-auth library for JS) which
offers WebID+OpenIDConnect+OAuth implementation which we've long
supported in our products.

Kingsley

> -- Sebastian
>
> On 11/9/23 15:16, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>>
>> On 11/9/23 8:57 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>> FWIW: when we defined WebID at TPAC, TimBL explicitly said no 303s.
>>
>> Because he knows what he is talking about, since he designed the
>> components that lead to the World Wide Web.
>>
>> An HTTP URI that names an Agent unambiguously simply needs a "#"
>> tacked on to it.
>>
>> You make the URI (pointer) from the Profile Doc URL (address).
>>
>> As I keep on trying to explain to you, right now the Web is full of
>> WebIDs that resolve to WebID-Profile documents using this importance
>> piece of Web magic.
>>
>> The whole thing "just works" and it's happening without or without a
>> WebID spec from anyone.
>>
>> ChatGPT and similar tools already understand this stuff too, so whom
>> exactly is some alternative spec going to bring on board?

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog: https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog