Re: any volunteers to chair the webid cg?

On 11/8/23 2:05 PM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering to apply as chair at the moment. I previously was
> involved in the RDB2RDF XG Group that lead to R2RML, then the W3C
> standards ITS-2.0  and SHACL as well as previously chairing the BPMLOD
> Community Group [1]. However,  before I apply, I would like to clarify
> 1. goals as well as the 2. the WebID definition.
>
> Especially 2. definition is a hard blocker IMHO. There seems to be a
> lot of confusion about every point here and the lack of foundation
> seems to make it very difficult to reach consensus in any way (also
> lack of clear goals and defined use cases).
>
> # What is a WebID?
>
> Maybe we can start with a simple question. Regarding
> https://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html does WebID require
> point 1 , 1&2  or 1&2&3.
>
> I would probably consider point 1 to be sufficient as identification
> and even allow URNs.  Although, the "Web" in WebID implies that it
> SHOULD or MUST be on the web.

Yes, the "Web" in "WebID" is all about HTTP. That was always the
fundamental intention i.e., harness the same protocol that drives the
ubiquitous Web.

The magic of the Web is easily harnessed via "#" based fragment
identifiers when it comes to naming things.

> # Identifier vs. Identity vs. Person
>
> webid:Person is mapped to foaf:Person at the moment. <#me> a
> foaf:Person means that <#me> is the identifier, that identifies a
> real-world person.  So the identifier and actual person is clear. But
> where or what is actually the "identity"? Semantically, I understand
> "identification" . Does this follow some logical school or framework
> with a definition?  Or is it just implicitly assumed that the Person
> and the Web Identity are the same thing, although one is digital and
> one is physical (so possibly not identical) and both are identified by
> the same identifier.

As per my previous post, you have:

1. WebID -- an identifier used to name agents.

2. WebID-Profile Document -- a document that describes agents

There's no realm that I know of where an Identifier (for naming) and its
referent are the same thing :)

Kingsley

> -- Sebastian
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/community/bpmlod/
>
> On 11/8/23 15:42, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>> i believe it's a requirement of cg to have at least one chair
>>
>> since a few people are still active, I was wondering if anyone has
>> time to chair the group
>>
>> that could also make work items easier
>>
>> if not, the group will likely close in due course

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog: https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog