Re: Should we complete the WebID spec?

pá 3. 11. 2023 v 6:41 odesílatel Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> napsal:

> Quoting Melvin Carvalho (2023-11-03 02:48:38)
> > pá 3. 11. 2023 v 1:09 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> >
> > napsal:

> > > What's that, and why?
> > >
> > > A WebID has always been an HTTP based URI used to name an Agent.
> > >

> > Yes indeed.  But not every authentication process gives a URI (sadly).
> > Some will give a string of characters that denote an Agent, which need to
> > be turned into a URI.
>
> Not every http URI works either for delivery, but we have survived
> without needing to define urn:http-that-actually-delivers-content
>
> What is the difference? Why the need for a guaranteed working HTTP URI
> here?

It's for pluggable auth systems.  Currently webid employs WebID-TLS.

But there are (in 2023) over 500 auth strategies on the web.

In order to make them work with a webid based system, you need a way to
turn a local username, into a global name.  Global names are called URNs.
So since I'm basing my system on http WebIDs already, it seemed logical to
have URNs for web identifiers too.  Whether I do this here, on github, as
part of a webid-lite / solid-lite I dont mind too much.  I normally prefer
to collaborate on things, if there is sufficient interest.