Re: Should we complete the WebID spec?

On 11/2/23 9:48 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> pá 3. 11. 2023 v 1:09 odesílatel Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com> napsal:
>

>     On 11/2/23 5:53 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>     > 2. urn scheme for webids:  urn:webid
>
>     What's that, and why?
>
>     A WebID has always been an HTTP based URI used to name an Agent.
>

> Yes indeed.  But not every authentication process gives a URI
> (sadly).  Some will give a string of characters that denote an Agent,
> which need to be turned into a URI.

I didn't see our focus right now being on solving for authentication
protocols and URI combinations. I believe the primary objective is to
propel WebID forward by delineating its essence and its potential usage,
especially within the context of Solid.

The shift from understanding WebID as an HTTP URI that identifies an
Agent to something else doesn't align with the aforementioned goal.

Presently, we utilize the term NetID for a URI that identifies an Agent,
grounded on the reality that we have authentication services
accommodating a range of schemes right from the outset.

The discourse around WebID and Solid Lite seems to diverge slightly from
the issues pertinent to a NetID. Furthermore, with billions of pages on
the Web currently utilizing HTTP URIs to identify Agents, it seems
prudent to harness this established practice with the existing WebID
definition.

Isn't the ultimate aim to employ HTML profile documents, encompassing
RDF structured data islands (i.e., metadata articulated through various
RDF notations), via a more streamlined derivative of Solid?

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog:https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog