Re: Should we complete the WebID spec?

On 11/2/23 8:45 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Kingsley Idehen (2023-11-02 13:30:36)
>
>     A WebID is just an identifier. It has to stay as just that. It
>     SHOULD resolve to a profile document, which is where things get
>     challenging.
>
>     A WebID profile document should comprise a machine-computable
>     description of its subject (named by a WebID). I encourage the use
>     of an HTML doc comprising metadata delivered as an RDF-based
>     structured data island using JSON-LD, Microdata, or Plain Old
>     Semantic (POSH).
>
>     Why is this important?
>
>     Profile documents need to be familiar to both end-users and
>     developers, the only document type that satisfies that condition
>     is HTML.
>
>     Storyline:
>
>     The self-sovereign identity and eventual privacy control journeys
>     start from a WebID that resolves (without explicit content
>     negotiation) to a profile document i.e., via a "#" based fragment
>     identifier.
>
>     Terminology:
>
>     RDF -- an abstract language for structured data expression (using
>     a variety of notations) and representation (using a variety of
>     serialization formats).
>
> Let me try rephrase the above in my own words, to check if I undertand
> correctly (in which case I fully agree with it):
>
> A WebID is only an identifier. It is not the processing of said
> identifiermachinery by agents, and it is consequently important to a)
> not complicate the spec for WebID by including spec for surrounding
> machinery, but also b) to ensure that the spec ensures the ability for
> intended processing.
>
> The "processing" of a WebID identifier is /both/ done by human and
> mechanical agents, and therefore it is relevant for the WebID to
> specify targeted both those types of agents.
>
> Concretely, you suggest as a MUST to use a HTML document that MUST
> contain RDF expressions, and that those RDF expressions SHOULD be
> serialized in formats preferrably for both human and machine
> consumption (but not mandate any specific serialization).
>
> Did I get that correctly?
>
>   * Jonas

Yep!

And for Nathan:

An implementer doesn't have the obligation to be generic; they can make
specific choices in their implementations -- if they so chose.

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog:https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog