Re: WebID and Content Negotiation

Hi all,

> I think at this point we need to put the prose behind us and make HTTP
> request/response examples for each use case, in order to remove any
> ambiguity.

Examples are a good idea. However, we should first agree on whether "canonical"
implies MUST or SHOULD. I would be ok with the spec suggesting support for a
canonical/SHOULD format and I would be ok with the spec suggesting no canonical
format at all. I would not be ok with the spec mandating support for a
canonical/MUST format. We should also specify, per each case, whether the
server supports conneg and thus whether it can understand when a client is
expressing a preference.

We can try to declinate examples per each combination of MUST/SHOULD,
conneg/no-conneg, preference/no-preference but that would be a lot of examples.
Is there a chance that we can converge a little bit more before drafting examples?

> Content Negotiation is an implementation detail that has no business being in
> the WebID spec.

The current spec/draft mentions conneg, which is why I am in favour of keeping
it optional while still mentioning it. I would also be ok with not mentioning
it at all, I think.

> We should start by changing the topic of this thread regarding
> content-negotiation from "WebID and Content Negotiation" to "WebID Profile
> Documents and Content Negotiation".

> That simple change will be very useful to the general conversation. If not,
> we will continue to burn time on a conflated issue rife with confusion, IMHO.

I don't *think* I am making this particular mistake but happy to be corrected.

Best regards,
Jacopo.