Re: WebID default serialization for WebID 2.x

On 1/25/22 6:08 PM, Nathan Rixham wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 10:58 PM Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>     On 1/25/22 4:29 PM, Nathan Rixham wrote:
>>     On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 9:23 PM Kingsley Idehen
>>     <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>>
>>         On 1/25/22 1:28 PM, Nathan Rixham wrote:
>>>         Would a fair definition of a valid WebId then be something
>>>         like: A URI is a valid WebIdentifier if it dereferences to a
>>>         valid WebId-Profile describing the URI with the minimum set
>>>         of required properties (type, name, public_keys)?
>>
>>         A WebID is a resolvable identifier that denotes an agent. It
>>         resolves to a WebID Profile Document.
>>
>>      How do you know it's a WebID before you resolve it?
>
>     Good question!
>
>     By deciding the want to denote yourself using a given identifier,
>     relative to your profile document.
>
> Let me rephrase, and suggest looking at it the other way around: given
> a random IRI <y> how do I know <y> is a webid / refers to an Agent,
> without first resolving it? and as a sub point, is a "valid" webid?

You know it is a WebID because the spec says its is a URI that denotes
an Agent. That's it, really :)

"

WebID
    A WebID is a URI with an HTTP or HTTPS scheme which denotes an Agent
    (Person, Organization, Group, Device, etc.). For WebIDs with
    fragment identifiers (e.g. #me), the URI without the fragment
    denotesthe Profile Document.

"

As per: https://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/identity/ .

> This is why I'm suggesting that requiring a webid profile document
> with a minimum set of properties would provide a way to find out that
> some IRI <x> is a (valid) WebID.

I am not disputing the utility of properties that constitute a WebID
Profile Document.

I am more concerned about the tendency to conflate a WebID and a WebID
Document. That kind of terminology conflation leads to confusion and
problematic traps etc..

For the record, my issues with the WebID spec have nothing to do with
its definition of a WebID. They have everything to do with the MUST and
SHOULDs applied to WebID Profile Document content-type requirements.

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog:https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog