Re: WebID default serialization for WebID 2.x

On 1/25/22 10:58 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Someone asked me out of band if this tiny example would work as a WebID:
>
> {
>   "@id": "<webid>",
>    "@type": Agent,
>    "name": "whatever",
>    "public_keys": [a,b,c]
> }
>
> While not perfect, its seems not far off at all.
>
> Imagine if WebID were that simple.  You could use it today, already
> with the public keys it will handle auth, and extensible to many other
> things.

Hi Melvin,

WebID and WebID-Profile document are indistinguishable i.e., they are
conflated in your opening sentence.

A WebID is one thing.

A WebID-Profile Document is another.

Speaking about them ambiguously leads to confusion.

If I where writing that message I would have said:

Someone asked me out of band if this tiny JSON snippet would work as a
*WebID-Profile*:

{
   "@id": "<webid>",
    "@type": Agent,
    "name": "whatever",
    "public_keys": [a,b,c]
}

Answer:
It would work if it was constructed using valid JSON, rather than a mix
of JSON and JSON-LD.

Structure Template Revision:

{
   "id": "<resolvable-identifier-that-denotes-this-agent>",
    "type":
"<resolvable-identifier-that-denotes-an-agent-class-in-some-vocab>",
    "name": "<literal label of this profile doc>",
    "public_keys": [<list-of-public-keys>]
}

That will work absolutely fine, without any confusion arising from form
and function, since that's just an Entity Relationship Graph encoded
using JSON.

Try it :)

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com