Re: WebID default serialization for WebID 2.x

On 1/21/22 6:21 PM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:

> Hi Jonas,
>
> a question: I am having trouble finding the current spec. Also I can
> not find anything about NetID. See more inline.

Hi Sebastian,

NetID is basically the moniker we use for a WebID superset. The only
thing to note is that its all of WebID plus the support of other
document content types (no distracting arguments about this matter) and
unique identifiers (i.e., beyond HTTP).

You have a resolvable unique identifier (denotation) and an entity
relationship graph (connotation).

It doesn't exist as a formalized spec because we (OpenLink) don't have
the bandwidth for such undertaking right now, we simply let our products
do the talking -- so to speak.

> On 21.01.22 17:49, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Quoting Sebastian Hellmann (2022-01-21 17:29:46)
>>> I would argue for a more clear definition of what the webID publisher
>>> should/must provide, simply to prevent wiggle space.
>> So would you find it acceptable that the WebID spec states that
>> publishers SHOULD provide JSON-LD serialization of the RDF data (and
>> consumers SHOULD be capable of parsing JSON-LD)?
>>
>> ...since that is the position held by (at least) Kingsley Idehen and
>> Aaron Coburn and me.
>
> That is not enough in my opinion and I am picking up some points from
> Aaron's email. JSON-LD is a moving target. My point is maybe not
> making JSON-LD default/mandatory, but to make it mandatory that
> JSON-LD does not become a pain for "builders" (see Kingsley's mail).

Yes, which is why I am absolutely fine with plain old flat JSON.

> 1. although there is names like compact/expanded/flattened , I am
> missing the particular name for the JSON-LD serialization that has the
> context made in a way that it potentially suppresses @value and @type,
> i.e. the JSON-like JSON-LD that has "key" : "value"  and not "key" :
> {"@value":"value"} . Also no URIs in "key" .  Whenever I find
> schema.org snippets in HTML, they seem to follow this pattern, see
> e.g. curl https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000313/ | grep schema.org -C  10
>
> Note the missing '/' at the end of "@context":"http://schema.org" . So
> I am asking for a serialization that is not well described by either
> compact/expanded/flattened  .
>
> 2.  I have the feeling that some parsers can not re-nest objects back
> into compact, e.g. if you have "foaf:knows" :
> [{"@id":"http://someone.org/#this" },{...}] , so parsing and
> serializing in compact will not give you back the format in 1. Hence
> "flatten" might the more consistent option here.
>
> 3. datatypes can be a serious data quality problem. Right now, you run
> into interoperability issues between using "Peter"@en, "Peter" and
> "Peter"^^xsd:string (RDF 1.0 vs 1.1.) . So any RDF spec should come
> with extensive SHACL tests to reduce heterogeneity.
>
> 4. The previous point also factors into the JSON-LD context:
>
> "license":{
>        "@context":{
>           "@base":null
>        },
>        "@id":"dct:license",
>        "@type":"@id"
>     },
>
> "@type":"@id" -> causes "value" to be interpreted as URI, i.e.
> producing <http://example.org/> in Turtle/NT around it and not
> "http:example.org/"
>
> "@base":null -> prevents the faulty addition of base prefix to strings
> that are obviously not meant to be a URI, e.g. "CC-BY" otherwise
> becomes <https://json-ld.org/playground/CC-BY> Also filing this under
> datatype data quality issues.
>

> schema.org manages it quite nicely. Yet, I have not seen other
> projects being able to reproduce this.
>
> -- Sebastian
>

>>   - Jonas

JSON is the best way forward if Web Developers are the target.

As I said, NetID doesn't really care about formats, and JSON is fine etc..

Home Page:http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support:https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):
Company Blog:https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog