Re: Recovery of compromised WebID

On 3/3/19 3:41 AM, Sebastian Hellmann wrote:

> Hi Kingsley,
>
> you are writing a lot of text without answering my simple question:
>
> If I find a way to change your public key in your WebID to match my
> private key, can I log into your accounts with my private key?
>
> Your associated accounts for your WebID seem quite valuable already, I
> could target your employees with root access and make them an offer
> they can't refuse.
>
> What security measures against identity theft are in place and where
> can I read about them? This here is minimal:
> https://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/wiki/Identity_Security
>
> All the best,
>
> Sebastian

Answer is No.

Explanation in three sentences.

You cannot break the WebID-TLS protocol via possession of Public Keys.

WebID-TLS is an extension of TLS.

BTW:

Can you break TLS via possession of Public Keys?

You do know and understand the nature of Digital Signatures and the role
of the Private Key in Asymmetric Crypto, right?

Why is github be your canonical example, even though your speculative
compromise is invalid ?

Kingsley