Re: Status-Check

On 22 Oct 2017, at 11:27, Martynas Jusevičius <martynas@atomgraph.com<mailto:martynas@atomgraph.com>> wrote:

OK, I guess I should have used WebID+TLS :)

The current specs are online and make the distinctions:
https://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/webid/spec/

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 at 01.34, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com<mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
On 10/21/17 9:54 AM, Martynas Jusevičius wrote:
> OK, I should have been more specific -- but I also think WebID suffers
> from some conflation of terms.
>
> In my mind WebID is the authentication protocol using client
> certficates. Without it "WebID is URI" is pretty much useless -- or
> rather as useful as a URI on its own.

We the following components here:

1. WebID -- a HTTP that explicitly identifies an Agent (Person,
Software, Machine, or any other thing with autonomous operation capacity).

2. WebID-Profile -- an entity description document to which a WebID resolves

3. WebID+TLS -- a protocol for verifying claims in a WebID-Profile
document via WebID lookup and the application of reasoning and inference
to specific entity relationship type semantics (e.g., how a WebID and a
Public Key are related)

We have to try our best to reduce colloquialisms when we communicate.

The difference between a WebID and a URI is that the latter identifies
anything while the former explicitly identifies an Agent. The term WebID
exists so that we don't have to say "an HTTP URI that specifically
identifies an Agent (Person, Software, Machine, or any other thing with
autonomous operation capacity)" when trying to construct simple
sentences about the kind of identity required for the WebID+TLS protocol.

I hope this clarifies this matter?

OpenLink Software   (Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com<http://www.openlinksw.com/>)

Weblogs (Blogs):
Legacy Blog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen/